Monday, April 22, 2013

The Dentist

Remind me to change dentists.

I scheduled a cleaning/exam a couple months ago at the dentist I had been to once before.

Apparently, even though I repeatedly told the scheduler that I had been there before, she only scheduled me for a new patient exam, which does not include the cleaning.

I was not aware that she scheduled me for only an exam.

So I got there early (about 3:55 for my 4:10 appointment), and they greeted me really nicely, etc. Went back there, and the dental assistant kept looking at me funny. I never did figure out why, but I imagine it is because she is new. She never said she was new, but I eventually figured it out because of how the other assistants helped her.

They apparently lost all the x-rays I took last time, because they insisted I take all 10+ xrays again, even though I was there only 9 months ago for my first "new patient exam." This is when I discovered I wasn't going to get my teeth cleaned. I also happened to overhear them saying they should take the xrays again anyway because I had private insurance.

Seriously? Do people with private insurance get different treatment than others? Also, they had no record of my medical history, which I gave them last time. And is it so hard to clean someone's teeth? That's all I went there to do! I didn't even care about the exam so much.

Anyway, after all this, the new assistant slowly takes the xrays (if I get charged for them, I'm definitely going to complain!), in the meantime cutting my gums because of how uncomfortable the bites are.

I learned a lot about my mouth today. Apparently,  I have tori, which is extra jaw growth on my lower jaw. Totally normal, and nothing to worry about unless I need dentures. Or if I am getting xrays taken, in which case I am going to bleed and it's going to be painful.

Seriously, it was painful. I cried. I have a really high pain tolerance, and I cried. Maybe it was the surprise, or maybe it was because it was on my face? I feel like when I hurt my face, my eyes water uncontrollably.

After this, I waited patiently for the dentist to do the exam. Really patiently. The assistant left to go get her at least twice.

She was very awkward in a way where she was trying to be nice and professional, but she just came off as stiff. I suppose my mood at this point didn't help. She did teach me some interesting things about my mouth. In addition to having tori, I have a low muscle that connects my upper lip to my gums. This will also be a problem if I ever need dentures. I still have a crossbite from before I had braces. My teeth are crowded on the right side. I have an enamel pearl on my molar. I have general calcification, which means I should have had a lot of cavities, but my teeth calcified before they could fully form. Luckily, the calcification is hard enough where it shouldn't be a problem. I also have snowcapped molars, from the calcification.

Also, I need to floss more. "Do more homecare." Story of my life.

Aside from getting my teeth cleaned on June 5th, (Seriously, a month and a half from now?) I will not be going back to this dentist. Plus I was there until 5:25. How was I there for an hour and a half when all I did was get a dinky exam?

I miss my Northfield dentist. And doctor, for that matter. They were all so pleasant and lovely to be around and helpful.

2 comments:

  1. If you have a family dentist in your area, you should feel comfortable with him or her. In addition, they should be able to treat all oral problems efficiently and effectively. Your dentist in farmington CT should take time to answer any questions or concerns that you might have regarding your oral health. When you visit them, be sure to have your mouth cleaned before or after any dental work. Finally, be sure that you follow all of your dentist's instructions regarding the pre-dental, post-dental and emergency care so that you can enjoy a smile that lasts a lifetime.
    Dental appointment farmington

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dentist should offer comprehensive dental procedures and an abundance of helpful information about teeth whitening, including a healthy diet and lifestyle. "While many dentists specialize in just one procedure, such as teeth whitening, you want a dentist who offers a full array of services," says Smith. "Your family dentist may be able to refer you to a cosmetic dentist who offers many options for improving your smile. He or she can also help patients to choose from a variety of teeth whitening products.
    Dentist Northampton, MA

    ReplyDelete