Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Day: Part II: Canoe Trip!

I love canoeing! Today, we went on our annual canoe trip down 7 miles of the St. Croix river. We left my aunt's house and took the "scenic" route to Taylors Falls. (This should be interpreted as we forgot how to get there, but figured out a way to get there that was less direct)

Anyway, the water was really, really high. Normally, we have a nice sandy beach from which to push off our canoes out of a long line of canoes. However, the water was so high, the nice sandy beach was completely submerged, leaving the water line only a couple yards away from the canoe rental. About 7 or 8 canoes were able to fit in the small grassy cove that had formed in lieu of the beach.

However, the high water meant that there was a very helpful current. Whole logs floated downriver along with us. While we were eating on one of the few spots available to stop and get out, we were passed by a log which looked like a sea serpent. We named it Nessie of course. It had a snake-like head, a small hump in the middle, and a tail sticking out of the water. Our usual lunch spots were completely submerged. The many sandbars and islands, and even campsites on the islands that have been hospitable to us were gone. Instead, we managed to find a not-as-steep place to park the canoes with a fallen tree that sufficed as a bench/table.

And in not-surprising news, I am sunburned. My chest, arms, shoulders, upper back, thighs, right knee, my shins and my feet are sunburned. Also, my hands and the inner half of my first finger segments are burned. My face, lower torso, scalp, back of my legs and my left knee were left unscathed, and my forearms are less burned than the rest of me. I put on some sunscreen, but only in the places that were already a little darker. However, it appears the sunscreen on my right knee wore off. Except for a couple splotches. I also have a rather large pale spot beneath my left knee. The joys of being pale, freckly and kind of red-haired.

After, we explored Franconia Sculpture Park, a recommended visit for artistic people, and also people who like to interact with sculptures. I climbed on a melted car, walked through a log tunnel, creeped through a shed/rocket/I'm not exactly sure what, and sat on a very artistic bench. It's a fun place, and it's free (except for the gas money needed to get there).

We finished the day by exploring my grandparent's/aunt's neck of the woods by going to the Harriet Alexander Nature Center. Right when it closed. Luckily the guy was nice enough to let us in, anyway. So we spent a few minutes there looking at skeletons and bees and a turtle and stuff, then went to visit my grandparents, who live a few doors down from my aunt. It was nice to see them. I see them only once or twice a year, and my grandma's health is deteriorating, so a visit is nice. Plus, it gains me "favorite grandchild" points. I'm near the bottom in rankings, so any points are helpful. This is totally unofficial, by the way. For all I know, they secretly love me more than anyone. But most likely not, since I almost never visit, or do anything for them, even though they don't want anyone to do anything for them.

Anyway, the rest of the day is detailed in the second part of My Day: Part I. Have a great day, yourself, kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment