Monday, August 9, 2010

Swimmin' Hole

This Sunday, I headed north to St. Cloud/Waite Park to go swimming with some friends. One of my friends who lives up there took us to Quarry Park, which is an old granite quarry that is now a park/nature preserve. One of the quarry holes is dedicated to swimming/diving. The edges of the quarry go 0-55 feet above the surface of the water, and the water is 115 or so feet deep. And since it's a quarry, it's that deep pretty much the whole way through. There's a few feet near the dock that is painfully rocky that is 2-3 feet deep, and then it drops off completely.

In any case, I didn't do any jumping, but I did go swimming, and it was a really weird experience. Normally when I swim, I just kind of stand in shoulder-deep water and float around. There's not much shoulder-deep water in a quarry, so I found a rock in shallower water, until someone gave me a lifejacket so I could float on it.

A pretty fun time, with dozens of people swimming around and jumping off of cliffs. You should go there sometime, if you're ever in the St. Cloud area. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment