Friday, November 12, 2010

Reverend Me

So, I became a Minister last night. lol.

I am a minister of the First Church of Atheism, which is a "church" which basically allows people to become "ministers" so they can officiate weddings and funerals and such. Legally, in order for a marriage license to be valid, a minister or a judge needs to witness it. Unless you're friends with a judge, it's hard to find someone meaningful to officiate a wedding in a non-religious context. So, the First Church of Atheism allows people to become ministers legally.

Obviously, it's not supposed to be an actual church or congregation or anything. It's a way around legal discrimination that says weddings must be done by a judge or a minister. If you wanted a friend to officiate, they can go online to any website/church and get a ministers license for free. However, they're mostly Christian or non-denominational organizations that do that. The FCA does the same thing but for non-religious people.

I don't know if I'll ever officiate a wedding or anything, but it's generally $300 per service, so if I do, it'll just be extra income, and I get to make a positive non-religious difference in peoples lives. If you need a minister for anything, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment