Sunday, January 22, 2012

Volunteering

Well, finally! After missing the bus and ending up in Minneapolis somehow instead of St. Paul the first time, and getting the flu the second time, I finally volunteered this month. I helped the Minnesotans United for All Families call voters to talk to them about voting against the ban on marriage for gays and lesbians (and bisexuals in same-sex partnerships, but in typical mainstream lesbian and gay issues, bisexuals are never mentioned).

Out of 41 times I dialed the phone, I had 2 conversations. 9 other people stopped me and told me they didn't want to talk to me. It was fun anyway, though. I helped convince someone to vote no on the marriage amendment. Yay! I helped!

I'm going back next week (fingers crossed; my luck was not so good before). I'm also going to box food at Second Harvest Heartland later this week through work.

Volunteer resolution so far? Check!

As for the gym membership, I don't really like exercising. If I get the 12 month membership, I know I will go 3 times a week, even if I don't really want to. However, I've been going 4-5 times a week so far this month, and I've already noticed I'm more toned, and down a notch on my belt. My skin is clearer, too. I think I am getting healthier, so it might be worth the $17 after insurance. I thought about just doing exercise videos at home, but I know I wouldn't do it.

So the real question is: Is being in better shape worth $17 and 5 hours a week? I still have a couple weeks to decide, but I am just not sure. I was fine before. I wasn't overweight. I wasn't out of shape, but I wasn't in shape either. But if I don't start now, will I when I need to?

No comments:

Post a Comment