Friday, September 11, 2009

ANTM

"I have one picture in my hands. This picture represents the one who will stay in the competition to become America's Next Top Model..."

This is one of my favorite TV shows. I also like The Office and LOST a lot. I have seen every ANTM episode. It's such an interesting, entertaining show. I have absolutely no interest in fashion, and very little sense of it. Maybe the narcissist in me is jealous of these young women who get to have pictures taken of them a lot. I know I will never be one of these women (unless I go up or down 6 sizes for some reason), but they're so fascinating. Most of them are normal people who decided to try out. They're all beautiful, but not classically so. They have unique features, such as large eyes, small foreheads, etc. that make them unusually beautiful. It's fascinating.

The show doesn't really perpetuate stereotypes either. Women with eating disorders are not allowed on the show (or are taken off the show and provided with help), and many of the contestants don't fit the stereotype of a model. There have been a few Ivy Leaguers and many other college graduates. Some are mothers, some are transgender or gay, others are blind, epileptic, burn victims or have Asperger's. Many are just really odd. There are always a few nutjobs per cycle. I think part of it is to make the cycle interesting, and part because models with personality impress Tyra more.

Tyra is pretty awesome. She's like Oprah, only not as great as Oprah (yet?). I have a lot of respect for those two. They do great things for young girls and women. I don't think Oprah can be replaced by Tyra, but Tyra is still pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi friend, peace,,,
    Your article very interesting.
    If you willing visit my blog, and read my article at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com
    And... if you love books, read The Holy Qur'an please...

    ReplyDelete