Sunday, August 16, 2009

Come and take a dip in the hope, the future is fine.

So, I've been playing around with my schedule since my last post. I was sad that aside from religion, I would have only social science classes. I don't want to get burned out on social science, because I like it a lot. Ergo, I have switched things around.

I have added Statistical Modeling, New Venture Formulating (a management class), Intro to Environmental Science and Principles of Computer Science.

I think that will round out my studies, especially since I want to work for community-based organizations. I would enjoy being a community organizer, a pollster, campaign manager, a city planner, local administrator/elected official or a lobbyist for a non-profit advocacy group (not a business group. Greedy jerks). I think the ship has sailed on the city planning, but maybe I could work it out. I can always take undergrad classes without a degree while working on my masters or doctorate.

When I tell people that I want a career with public policy and planning, they look at me like I'm crazy. Why would you want to slave away for pennies and piss people off when you could be a doctor or something more lucrative and less stigmatized? Doctors can fix individuals problems , but I want to be able to prevent and fix those problems so they happen less frequently, in the most efficient and least imposing way. (Don't get me wrong, doctors = awesome, but I would make a lousy one. I have no bedside manner)

I could go on forever about this (I almost just did. I wrote three paragraphs, but decided to delete it, because it's getting away from the topic of this post, which is my future and my goals, not my platform. I'll save that for another post).

I'm not very good at many things. I am not very good at public speaking, getting people to do what I want them to, anything related to arts, entertainment or sports. The things I am good at: organization, memorization, begging on behalf of others, planning, complaining, etc, make for a good behind-the-scenes public policy slave. So public slave it is.

I don't want to be a office bitch for some rich company, or an aide to a puffed up Senator. I want to help people. I can help people. I don't think I'd be better at it than most people, but most people don't pick public slave jobs. They pick more jobs with money or reputation or freedom, like a rational person would.

No comments:

Post a Comment