Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blackout

Today, as I was walking between Buntrock and Holland hall to my office hours, the power went out. All over campus. I walked in the door, and hit the button for the elevator. Nothing happened. "Did I miss it?" I hit it a few more times. Nope. One of the nursing profs explained that the power had gone out in the couple minutes I was between buildings.

I sighed, and walked up the 3 flights of stairs to the GSC (it doesn't sound like much, but these flights were built long before current regulations were put in place, ergo, they are big flights of stairs. the third flight is 22 steps). I am in better shape this year, I guess, because I wasn't even breathing hard when I got up there. It's quite an accomplishment.

I took advantage of the power outage by eating in the caf, who couldn't swipe any cards to make sure people had meal plans because there was no power! It was really dark in there, though, so I couldn't really tell what people were serving. I just got a burrito because I didn't know what else there was. Interesting how the emergency generator powers the food heaters but not the lights in there.

Doing homework and anything useful during office hours was impossible, but I finished my test at my apartment where I still had power and internet.

I wonder what happened? I'm sure I'll hear it through several rumours tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment