Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tofu Pineapple Fried Rice

It's been a while since I posted a recipe, but this one turned out so goshdarn well I had to share it. It's my first successful fried rice, so I'm pretty happy.

Ingredients:
~1 cup pineapple chunks, preferably fresh, but you could use canned for convenience. I just ask that you reserve the juice to make a smoothie or something.
~3 T cooking oil
~3-4 c leftover rice. If making new rice, be sure to put it in the fridge for an hour or so first.
~1 package of firm tofu, cubed into 1-inch pieces
~1/4 c chopped onion (the original recipe called for 3 spring onions, but I used what onion I had)
~3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
~1 chili, finely chopped
~1 T cilantro, finely chopped
~1 egg
~1/4 c vegetable/chicken stock
~1/2 c frozen peas (can add more for healthier fried rice. I used about a cup)
~1/2 c raisins (or craisins in my case, because I didn't have raisins in the house)
~1/2 c cashews (I finally used some of those cashews, mom!)
Sauce:
~3 T soy sauce
~2 t curry powder
~1 T lime juice
~1/2 t sugar

Directions:
~Fry the tofu in 1 T oil at some point. I multi-tasked and made the tofu while making the fried rice.
~Mix the sauce together.
1) Mix 1 T oil in with the rice, making sure it's all coated and the clumps of rice are separated.
2) Stir-fry the Onion, garlic and chili in 1 T oil for about a minute in a large frying pan/wok.
3) Push everything to the side, and scramble the egg in the empty space. Mix with the rest after it's cooked.
4) Add the peas, and add the veggie stock bit by bit as needed-may not need it all. Just when it starts to dry out, add some more.
5) Stir in the rest of the ingredients, and drizzle the sauce over everything. Do not add any more stock after this. Stir-fry everything together for 5-10 minutes, until it's reached a consistency you think you will enjoy. :)
6) Put the tofu in with it, and serve/eat!

I should have taken a picture.... Then it'd be like a real blog. Maybe I should make a video of myself cooking.

I do have nutrition facts for you, though. That's above and beyond! I'm doing B-level work, here, folks! (FYI, not the healthiest, but better than most restaurants, probably.) Disclaimer: This is with the ingredients I used. The ingredients you use will make a difference.

Calories: 400
Fat: 16g
Cholesterol: 43mg
Sodium: 756mg (could replace with low-sodium soy sauce)
Potassium: 170 mg
Carbs: 50g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Sugar: 9g
Protein: 16.5g
Vitamin A: 10.5%
Vitamin C: 21.2%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 15%

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, you still have those cashews? You will have to make a lot of this fried rice to use the whole pound. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my first time using them, actually. ... Long ways to go. They were good, though.

    ReplyDelete