Sunday, April 11, 2010

Little House on the Prairie

I turned on the TV when I sat down to dinner today. Last night, I watched Sarah, Plain and Tall before bed on the Hallmark Channel. So, when I turned it on today, and a 5 part miniseries of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books is on, and I came into it 20 minutes into the first part.

Well, I won't be getting much done tonight. It's pretty hokey, but I loved those books when I was a little Half Pint. Plus, I must be having some hormone swings or something because every now and then I just get all choked up. Even for commercials, or when Jack was swept downstream, or when the big scary Indians cornered Ma in the house. I know Jack comes back that night, and the Indians just want some food, but still. A big lump in my throat forms up and I just get all teary-eyed.

In any case, I made Pasty Pie for dinner.

Ingredients:
2 9" pie crusts
1 lb beef, uncooked and cubed
4 rutabagas, diced
4 carrots, diced
2 small/medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
4 pats of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut all ingredients so they're approximately they same size. Mix with salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Place one crust in a pie plate, and fill with mixed ingredients. Place pats of butter on top, then cover with second crust. Seal crusts together, and trim any remaining crust off. Bake for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment