Tuesday, June 15, 2010

BP

A couple years ago at the Minnesota State Fair, I got a free T-shirt from BP.

As you know, BP values profit more than safety, and hasn't acted swiftly to resolve the greatest single human-caused environmental disaster since, Chernobyl. Ergo, BP is evil.

So what should I do with the shirt? I don't want to wear it as is. It implies that I support BP, which I don't. I want to use the shirt to be a metaphor for what BP has done/is doing to the Gulf. Unfortunately, I'm not so arty or symbolically-minded. I need advice!

I could soak it in oil for a while, then wash out the flammable bits and wear it around? That seems a little wasteful, but it would effectively stain the shirt in authentic oil stain. But buying oil for the express purpose of ruining a shirt and wasting the oil itself seems a bit against what I'm trying to accomplish by ruining the shirt.

Maybe I could draw dead birds and sea turtles with black sharpie on the shirt. Or maybe just dye it with black tie dye?

I don't really want to cut the shirt, and I want it to be done sustainably. What do you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. i like the idea of drawing the dead birds on it. you could also just use something else that might look oil ish for your first idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bird/turtle idea. I'm not sure if the oil or black tie-dye ideas would get across the idea as effectively.

    ReplyDelete