Monday, June 14, 2010

World Cup, fer realz

I am not a sports fan.

However, every couple of years, I give in to my inner nationalist and obsessively watch sporting events. Only legitimate world-wide events though. Only the World Cup and the Olympics (even though its only mostly privileged nations who participate, so it's still not really worldwide. The US has dozens of athletes in the Olympics. Where are the dozens of worthy Malawi and Kazakhstan?)

I root for teams arbitrarily. Of course, I root for the US. Also, countries I've been to, like France, Slovenia, and England. Other countries I like because I know people from those countries, like Mexico, Japan or South Korea. Others, I like for political reasons, for example not Serbia or North Korea. I am actively not rooting for them. In most cases, I pick a team and hope it wins. Sometimes, I don't care and just wait to see if one seems to be winning, then I start rooting for them.

In any case, I've been getting up at 6am to watch futbol games. If I care, I stay awake. If I don't, I usually wake up at 10ish to catch the end of the second match. Then I watch again at 1. I don't really care for sports, but I like soccer because it's more subtle than most sports. Of course, at 6:45 am, my appreciation for global subtlety comes second to my love for sleep.

Granted, even with the most sleep, I've only ever watched the Super Bowl twice. The first time was in middle school because I heard the commercials were good. They weren't that great. The second time was this year, because I was in the living room, and my roommate was watching it. It was okay, but I arbitrarily picked a team (I forget what teams were playing, or if the team I was rooting for won or lost).

That is the extent if my interest in sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment