Saturday, June 12, 2010

Creating a Fold

What is an atheist to do? When atheists decide to get married, who do they have marry them? In Minnesota, and most other states, one must be a minister in order to solemnize a marriage. Now, many of these ministers do have actual congregations, but there are websites where you can become an ordained minister by registering and printing off a certificate.

However, these are only for Christians, or those who claim to be Christian. So, there may be non-denominational ministers, but they are still Christian ministers. Not really what most atheists are looking for in an officiate.

Anyway, I did some research and I found this: the First Church of Atheists. They register people as ministers and thus give atheists what they need to legally officiate weddings, funerals, and any other clergy-necessary ceremonies.

"Church" has taken on a cultural association with Christianity, but "church" means a community of people with similar beliefs. I guess it makes sense, and I have no issues with organized religion (or non-religion), but it's still a little weird to have a church of Atheists to me. But, I suppose that by organizing as a church, it provides legal recognition for atheists, and allows ceremonies that normally would be legally religious (ew...) to be legally secular.

I approve. Now, should I become a minister? It'd be fun, and an interesting and educational experience for me, and I'd be able to provide a community service for other non-religious people. And it'd be a source of income, as becoming a minister is free, and usual charges for officiating a wedding is $300.

But, what responsibilities do ministers have? Would I have to offer some pre-marital counseling? Marital counseling? Pre-nuptial agreements? Funeral stuff? What do ministers do at funerals anyway? I am certainly not qualified to offer counseling. But I suppose I could work with local secular counseling services.

Maybe I'll register when I've graduated and I have time to do it. And I've had time to convince myself to/not to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment