Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Concern for friends of the library


I know, I know. I just wrote my first post an hour ago. That post was boring, though. That post is so 60 minutes ago. That, and as an unemployed college student sitting in a coffee shop for 3 hours, I have run out of things to do.
I am waiting for the public library to open. They changed their hours. The hours are now usually 10-6, except Monday and Wednesday, when it is open 12-8. Not a big inconvenience for me, being unemployed, but they don't really benefit anyone else. And while unemployed people need to use the library, the new hours do not work for anyone besides them.
But the library needs to save money, and cutting hours saves money. What else can they do? It's not like they can sell their books, or fine people more for returning them late. That'll decrease the usefulness of the library and turn people off. They could have a large fund-raising event, but who gives money in this economy?
I think they need to increase usage. The more people use it, the more sponsors and donors will see that it is needed and continue or increase support. However, cutting hours to silly times when only unemployed kids and maybe families with a stay-at-home parent can use it is not the way to get more people to come to the library.
Of course, I am in no way an expert on how to run a library. Or how to get money on such a large scale. When I go there, I will ask if they need volunteers for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment