Monday, June 22, 2009

Inked

I love tattoos. While there are plenty of ugly tattoos (for some prime examples, visit http://ugliesttattoos.com), tattoos are such a unique method of body art and self-expression, I find it difficult to stay away from them. I have one tattoo so far. I plan on getting a few more, when I come into some money.
This is my first tattoo. It came into being when I was 12, and busy being an aspiring author (that dream didn't work out so well). I was writing a fantasy trilogy, and one of the Goddesses was named Ravenheat, the ruler of the sun and birds. I was a clever and original preteen nerd, eh? In any case, as I was her High Priestess, I designed this standard for my Goddess, and it stuck with me. The picture is a little blurry, so I will describe it. It is a sun circumscribing a raven. It's a very simple design, I must say, but I like it. A rock is very simple, but if you use it right, you can still knock someone out with it, right? This design, over the years, has come to represent my aspirations. No, I don't want to be a raven in the literal sense. However, ravens are really smart (just look at videos on youtube) and thus I would like to raven-like, in that I want to be intelligent, to shape the world around me, to be creative, and have that aura of power that I find so compelling in ravens. They're common creatures who have achieved their own mythology. I suppose that makes me rather ambitious, and I hope that if I reach my goals, I will have done it in a way that is just.
Which is the inspiration for my next tattoo: a compass.

PS: Can you tell I've been reading fantasy novels? I feel that my language is much more formal and florid than usual. Maybe I am still an aspiring author.

No comments:

Post a Comment