Saturday, June 20, 2009

Libro the Lion roars "Rrrreeeeaad!!!"


I recently returned to my local public library, as I mentioned in an earlier post. I have read 12 books in less than a month. Some good, some bad, some entertaining, some infuriating. My favorites have been the favorites of the past. I have been rereading the Dragonlance Series. They're still great. : )
I also reread the Wayfarer Redemption series, by Sara Douglass. I found out that there's a second trilogy to the series, so I read those as well. The first half was as great as I remembered. The second newer half was awful. I have left better novels than those in the toilet. If you haven't read the series, I strongly recommend the first three books. Ignore the second half. It sucks. So. Bad. It completely undermines the entire purpose of the first trilogy, and destroys any chance of coherent plot or believable characters.
I also read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. I didn't like it. I think it's mostly because I wouldn't like him as a person. He has very captivating writing style, even though he wrote the whole thing in one giant paragraph and then cut and pasted it into the book, with chapters and paragraphs. Normally, I don't enjoy stream of consciousness very much, but it worked with this beatnik of an author. The fact that I found him a pretentious arrogant ass didn't exactly make me enjoy the book, though.
I also read "Watership Down". It was very good. I liked it very much. Well written, creative insight, good characters and development and an interesting plot. It's about rabbits doing things that rabbits normally do and do not normally do, from the point of view of rabbits. I strongly recommend it.
Up next on my reading list: "The Sound and the Fury," by Faulkner. Apparently, he's more difficult than Eudora Welty, who was a challenge to read. "Delta Wedding" is a good book for readers looking for a postmodern book to deconstruct, even though you pretty much need a family tree for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment