Saturday, December 19, 2009

My First Surgery!

I had my wisdom teeth removed today.

I was really nervous, but it was a good experience. The oral surgeon brought me a blanket because he didn't want me to be cold. The surgical assistants tucked me in. It was pretty cute. Then they hooked me up to the EKG and blood pressure machine. On my other arm, they put a tourniquet so they could get the IV in. That was a little weird. They don't do that when I donate blood. Ah well, the IV went in just fine.

Then they put an oxygen mask over my nose. It smelled "icky, I mean, unique" (according to one of the surgical assistants). It make me feel like a pig. Then they took my glasses away, and I don't remember anything after that.

I vaguely remember being moved from the chair to a bed. Then I remember laughing. A lot. And crying. Someone wiped my face and asked if I wanted my glasses. I guess I said no. I don't really remember. Being in my little fuzzy world is nice sometimes.

Apparently, three of my teeth were impacted, the two lower ones more so. I looked at them later. The lower ones had to be sawed in half, but the upper two were easier to take out. If you want to see picture, let me know and I can show you. But it's pretty gross, so I'm not going to post it on here.

Anyway, the next hour was spent continuing on my way home. I slept a lot. And talked a lot. Mom couldn't understand me very well, but I talked. My lower lip is still a little tingly, but the numbness is gone. My upper lip wasn't numb at all. Weird sensation.

Anyway, I got home, drooled over the sink while I took out the gauze, and tried to put in more. It was pretty bloody. Since then I've eaten mashed potatoes and yogurt. I'm really hungry. I should eat something. I'm due to take more ibuprofin, and I probably shouldn't eat on an empty stomach.

I couldn't eat at all today. I had to fast 8 hours before the surgery, so I ate some leftover aloo gobi from Chapati at 2am today. Delicious, and I want more. : ) Indian food = yum

2 comments:

  1. When I had my wisdom teeth out, it wasn't nearly as exciting! I woke up and gagged pretty bad, and then after that I stuck my fingers in my mouth and proceeded to play with the stitches. And then, after they yelled at me for that, I wobbled my way out of there and then totally fell asleep for like 5 hours, hehe. Nothing much happened after that... I do think my mouth got infected afterwards because it randomly got puffy a week or so later, and stayed that way for quite a while. But, no harm done, obviously. :)

    Wouldn't it suck if you had to stay awake to get your teeth out? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete