Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Another tattoo post

I love tattoos. I love looking at other peoples, and thinking about them and poorly drawing them and imagining them.

I always wonder the inspiration behind people's tattoos. I am always sorely disappointed when they just got them because all their friends got stars together or they just wanted a tattoo and picked it out of the book. I guess I feel something so permanent should have meaning to the person it's joined with. Kate from Jon and Kate Plus 8 regrets getting her tattoos. She got two stupid tattoos though. I kind of doubt that Winnie the Pooh is a huge part of her life, or that it ever was. I think she just wanted a tattoo and picked the Winnie the Pooh flash.

That's not to say that the standard tattoo from the book can't be meaningful, and sometimes looking through the book is helpful. I looked at all the suns trying to find the right rays that I wanted. I ended up combining a few different suns to get mine.

When I see really unique tattoos that are just ugly or disturbing or ridiculous, I always want to ask them why they got that one. Like the legs around the armpit hair, or the various crazy genital tattoos or the cat butt/belly button tattoo. Wtf, people? I mean, why do you want your armpit to look like a woman's pubes? Why do you want a six pack of beer cans tattooed on your beer belly?

But then there are really cool ones. I really like tree tattoos. I hope to get a large oak tree on my side one day. I like the cherry blossom tattoos, but they're not for me. Amazingly beautiful though. I also like characters and tribal tattoos, though I probably will not get them. I was watching Craig Fergson, and some celebrity was on there who thought her tattoo said "Determined Love" or something like that but translated to "Rough Sex" colloquially. And while tribals look cool, I don't personally take any meaning in them. Tramps stamps can be so sexy, but then again, they are called 'tramp stamps' and there is a lot of notions about them. That and it's not a discreet enough place for me.

On another tattoo note, why do wolves/dragons/tigers/carnivores always have to be snarling fearsomely in tattoos? Why can't they just be hanging out, looking alert?

No comments:

Post a Comment