Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fairy Tales

Book reviews? Ok.

Faulker: The Sound and the Fury: WTF!? I hated it. It makes no sense until the very end when it makes a teensy tiny bit of sense. Or rather, I figured out 1 thing that they were talking about. I put 1 puzzle together, out of dozens of puzzles the book presented. Read it for the sake of having read it, but WTF, Faulker, W. T. F.

Lackey: The 500 Kindoms Series: I've only read 2 so far, but they're cute books! They're fairy tale parodies of sorts, but for grown ups. There are some juicy sex scenes, but they are far too short and infrequent. It's almost as if she wants to be a smut writer, but isn't quite willing to stake her good reputation on it. She brings a new dimension to fantasy writer though. The sex scenes are very woman-centric. Sex scenes aside, the books are very cute and intelligent. I call them cute because they are fairy tales and people end up happily ever after and they are far from dark, but they're very witty as well.

Dragonlance series: Good as always. (Library complaint: Get the 3rd book! That complaint pretty much applies to almost every fantasy trilogy the library owns. Or partially owns. I don't want to buy 1/3 of a trilogy, so why did you only buy 2/3? Good lord. [I am exagerating, but it's true in some cases]) Dragonlance, a young adult favorite of mine, has bitten me again. I love this series. It adds a bit of dimension to the good vs. evil battles which are typical of fantasy. Good can be just a bad as evil and evil isn't usually that bad. Oh, and most of the Bad Guys aren't ugly and the Good Guys aren't always beautiful. Which is refreshing. A lot of the fantasy genre is too simple. There has been some depth added to it, usually in the good books, but there are some pieces of crap out there which are just cliches that have been puked out by someone's imagination.

Verne: Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I liked it overall. Very different from the movie. In some ways, I liked the book better and in other ways I liked the movie better. I was about 3/4 finished with the book when I realized they weren't going to meet any people in the centre of the Earth like they did in the movie. It is a good adventure story for people who can appreciate education and knowledge. It's also a very easy read.

Currently Reading: Dubliners by James Joyce

2 comments:

  1. If you didnt Like Faulkner I sort of doubt you will like like Joyce... I haven't read Dubliners but man he was a pain in the ass in A portrait of an Artist as a young Gentleman or whatever its called...

    ReplyDelete