Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Boonies

In the past few days, a few people have mentioned that it sucks to live in the boonies or it must suck to live far away from people. While it is a bit harder to socialize frequently with people while living a bit farther out, I like it. I would argue that I don't live very far away. I am less convenient because I can't make sudden plans because I don't drive, but I am able to get to where I need to be given enough warning or a ride. I really enjoy living in my mom's house. It is a beautiful peaceful place where we can live in seclusion while still able to have lives.
I like to walk, and since it takes 4-8 miles to get somewhere, I can take 4-8 mile walks fairly often. While it is not always safe to walk at night or during times when there may be more traffic or unsafe drivers, I can always get a workout from going to the library or to get coffee.
I also save money. Since it is harder to make spontaneous plans with someone, I go to less movies (only the ones I really want to see), go out to eat less (the nearest restaurant is 4 miles away), and go shopping for things I don't need less often.
I usually don't get tired of hanging out with people. You know, sometimes when you see someone so often you get sick of them? That usually doesn't happen very often for me.
I get to see more wildlife. How many people have dozens of birds and mammals living in their yard? How many rabbits do you scare on your way to the mailbox in one day? The other day, I scared up 3 of them. I've learned a lot about birds by living here, seeing everything from hummingbirds to turkeys to hawks up close in my own backyard. I've seen little fawns every day from the day they were born til the time they're all grown up.
I've always like where I live, despite the distance or poison ivy or ticks. It has given me, even though it's a suburban house in a suburban neighborhood, an appreciation for nature in a way that a neatly mowed lawn on a quarter acre plot of land in a McHouse ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment