Sunday, July 5, 2009

Shoes.

I don't understand shoes. In particular, I don't understand the fashion industry and the craze for shoes. I can't stand wearing flip-flops, stilettos or any other heels, converse, ballet flats, platforms or sketchers or most other kinds of shoes. They are uncomfortable and painful. Why do people hurt themselves to look cool/cute/sexy/fashionable? I understand the brand label preference. I usually only buy New Balance and Chacos because I know I can trust them not to hurt most of the time, but why would I trust a brand that hurts?

I used to wear Sketchers platform shoes in elementary school when they were in style. I ended up spraining my ankle jumping into a pool because my feet weren't able to sit flat anymore. Sketchers really does have cute shoes. I wish I could wear them. But when I do get them, they either wear out in a few weeks or cause my knees to hurt unbearably.
I have Simple shoes right now. They started off nice and supportive, but now they're starting to wear out and give which is starting to get annoying. I got 6 months use out of them, though, which is nice. They're an attractive shoe but is still dependable.

I don't really see the point of having fashionable feet. I mean, I understand not wearing combat boots to the Oscars or a job interview, but why are people expected to wear shoes that will hurt them? Why do people do it? People who wear heels can't walk in them very well normally or have a grimace of pain on, so they end up looking sillier than if they had just worn comfortable shoes.
I also do not understand makeup beyond mascara, eyeliner and lipstick/gloss. Everything else seems to hurt more than help. People wear makeup to cover up skin flaws, but the makeup just causes more zits. I personally don't wear makeup because I don't like to lie about or artificialize myself, but I usually don't make other people live up to my standards. I still do not understand, despite my attempt to rationalize the fashion and beauty aspects of society, why people would wear makeup every day or wear shoes that hurt them. Why???

Feel free to explain if you can. This isn't rhetorical. I really want to understand. I don't plan on starting to wear high heels or foundation from it, but at least I might stop judging the girls teetering along in pinchy heels so poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment