Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympics 2010

So, it's Friday! When I got home, I put on sweats and have been chilling out on the couch since then. The Olympics started tonight! It was pretty cool, with some sadness mixed in because of the death of the Georgian (the country, not the state) luger. I can't believe that TV networks are showing the accident and attempts to resuscitate him. I find that rather disturbing and tactless.

While China's opening ceremony was splendorous and spectacular, I think I understood and appreciated more of the Canadian ceremony. They emphasized affirmation of all Canadians, something that the Chinese definitely did not do (remember the pretty girl who lip-synched while the real singer was considered too ugly to perform was backstage?). Canadians represented all their citizens, from First Nations people to GLBT people (kd lang, specifically), ethnic and racial minorities (Nelly Furtado and the opera singer), people with disabilities, and people of many talents and backgrounds. Imagine if the Chinese opening ceremony had a tap dancing man in a kilt. Or a slightly overweight poet or even an androgynous lesbian?

Canadians are really respectful. I appreciate that. I might move to Canada one day. Even though I always mock Canadians. I'm Minnesotan. It's part of the regional tradition. I must make fun of all neighboring regions, including the Dakotas (particularly Fargo), Iowa, Wisconsin and Canada. In any case, I was making fun of one Canadian official, who had a really strong Canadian accent, and I could even pick up the Canadian accent in his French.

No comments:

Post a Comment