Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Pretty Good Day

Today was really busy. Despite that (or because of that), I had a pretty good day.

My day started at 7:30, when I found out I have $2,700 at my disposal and an A- from my interim class. Woot.

Then, I went to work at the elementary school, only to find that my first hour would be spent in a school-wide assembly. I did not have assemblies like that when I was a kid. The principle handed out awards to helpful students and students who made goals they had set. He asked the school 3 questions. "What are our classroom missions?" The answer was given by a 2nd grade girl, who responded "Work, Respect, Belong." (which are posted in every room on white, red and blue paper, corresponding to the letter with which they begin). The next question is "What is a Gecko?" (Geckos are the school mascot, so it's not a random question). A girl from kindergarten answered "A hard worker." The last question was really hard, so he asked the fifth graders. It must have been hard, since I don't remember what it was (I was still a little blown away that geckos are hard workers). Anyway, after that, he then talked about Ice Age and Vegietales for a while, then we were dismissed. Maybe my elementary school was too big for an assembly like that, and my principles not so cool.

In any case, I then went to the 5th grade reading class for the 15 worst reading students. They're not so bad, really. They're better than some of the middle school students I tutored last semester. They were reading some of the books I had read when I was their age. Only one of them was reading short stories, and they were pretty complex stories (the middle schoolers all read Captain Underpants).

After 2 hours of that, I went to a 2nd grade writers workshop. Oh my god they're so cute!!! They were working on "Fact or Fib" presentations about bluebirds, and so they were using computers! They all had macbooks on their desks, and none of them knew how to type. I got to teach 2nd graders how to use Word. Aw....! Also, Roberto, a boy in the class, asked if I was a boy or a girl. It made my day. It made me really like my new haircut, which is appropriately androgynous. Also, they all liked the pikachu charm on my phone which was hanging out of my pocket. And then when I left, they all waved and said "Adios Catey!" in unison. Freakin' adorable.

Unfortunately, I had stayed there an extra 20 minutes, so no lunchtime for me! I had to scurry back to the apartment, pack a lunch, grab my backpack, and head to class. It was so sunny today that I ended up taking my coat off about 15 minutes into the walk, and still ended up sweaty. Pleasant. Luckily, I've learned my lesson, and now bring an extra shirt in my backpack every time I walk to campus. Coat+backpack+slight incline=sweaty Catey. (Its more the backpack than anything that causes the sweat. Wicks away moisture my ass!)

In any case, I then had a pleasant conversation with a faculty member of some department in the ladies room while changing/getting unsweaty. Even though I was patting myself down with a paper towel, we still managed non-awkward small talk about the weather.

After class, we had a GLOW coordinator meeting. It only lasted half an hour and was really productive. Then I went to the doctors to get a shot, which took a long time only because of VanGo, my free transportation of choice, who was really busy tonight, and was 30 minutes late picking me up from the clinic. But as an apology, he drove me to my apartment instead of Buntrock, so I didn't have to walk home.

And, I didn't have anything to do on campus tonight! I have Thursday nights free!!!!! Yay! I have been barely scraping by with adequate sleep the past 3 days, when I get up early and come home late which means homework finishes later than I would like. In any case, I was able to cook dinner and cut up the pineapple I bought on Sunday finally. Yippee! My lunch tomorrow just got 53x more interesting. Yes, 53x. And yes, that's an arbitrary number.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I did not post this at 11:11! Luck must be playing a part in my life!

    ReplyDelete