Monday, February 1, 2010

Some Strange European Disease!

I have a cold. It's not that bad, but it's annoying. At least I have a week before I have to go back to school, eh? I guess that's all I have to say about that, but I've just been chilling at home, so all I have to talk about are squirrels, mice and pokemon, and I don't particularly want to talk about any of those.

Ergo, beans.

I really like beans. They're delightful. Easy to store, easy to cook, multi-functional and tasty. They can be the side dish, or the main course. Or they can be used to keep the quiche pastry from rising during baking. I think my favorite kind of beans are lentils, even though I've never cooked them personally. They just taste really great, and apparently you don't need to soak them overnight before using them.

I also like chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans. They don't really mesh with other kinds of beans, but they're still delicious. They're a bit more temperamental, though. They need to soak and cook for longer than most beans.

Maybe I'll grow beans this summer. I am going to pay for a plot in the Northfield Community Garden this summer, which is a 10 minute walk from my apartment. I am at a loss for what to grow. Onions, potatoes, for sure. Probably corn and tomatoes. The plots aren't very large, so maybe that'll be enough. I suppose I could try something like celery or peas. The problem with peas and beans is that they require something to climb, though. I'll think about it. Feel free to give suggestions!

And please excuse the random topic. It was the first thing that popped in my head.

1 comment:

  1. Bush beans don't need to climb. Bush Blue Lake is a good variety.

    ReplyDelete