Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 12 - ups and downs!

I finally did my laundry! I got up at 7:30, and ran to the kitchen/laundry room, only to find Marija sitting there. But, she wasn't doing laundry! Awesome. I washed tshirts, socks and undies, plus one pair of jeans and a hoodie. It took 2 and a half hours for one load, plus the day or two to dry it. But still, clean clothes are always fun!

We had a test this morning, too. It was ok. We had 4 questions, and we had to answer two of them, one about Italian-Slovene relations and one about Charles Tilly, who wrote our textbook. It was pretty easy. We were given an hour and 4 pages.

Then we had a couple hours for lunch. I went back to the hostel to cut and prepare the pineapple I bought the other day. I couldn't find the big knife, so I used a butter knife to cut the top off, then around the core and along the inside, scooped the insides out, then pulled the core out to make a little cup. Then I peeled a tangerine and a blood orange, put the fruit in the cup, then filled the rest with wine. It's been soaking for 9 hours now, but I'll let it go a bit more before I eat it.

After that was done, I went to the bakery and cafe to get a spinach burek and tea, and read a bit before class started. I've been rereading the Scarlet Letter. It's better than I remember, probably because I've been getting enough sleep and have free time and I'm not forced to read it for class.

In afternoon class, we talked about the collapse of Yugoslavia, then watched a movie about the wars in Bosnia which was made a year before NATO stepped in as ˝peacemakers˝ instead of ˝peacekeepers˝, which means they can fire on people instead of sitting there and watching it. Shit. So depressing and sad and disheartening. There was footage of dead babies and stories of women from the rape camps and old men trying to run for shelter and being shot down and little boys telling stories of their parents dying in front of them and European and American politicians pussyfooting and doing nothing.

We all shuffled out of the class completely silent. Many of the students were crying during the movie. We were definitely dragged out of our comfort zones.

For dinner, we went to Guiseppe Cafe again. Delicious, as always. Today we got free tiramisu, the best tiramisu in Piran, apparently. It was pretty amazing. I found out our cute waiter's name is Elvis. Very cute.

1 comment: