Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 27 - Last night in Piran -- forevah!

Today was our last day. Sad....! We took our last walk to the institute, where I gave my last presentation, and ate my last burek. And my second last burek (I was hungry!). Then I went for a last walk around the city.

On the walk, I went to the only beach in Piran, which is just a disentegrated concrete area next to a heavily graffitied basketball court along the seafront. Then I walked to the square, up to the church, then over to the market with a wider variety of alcohol, where I bought a couple beers for tonight. Along the walk, I picked up 1 rock for memories, and saw about 12 cats. It was warm and sunny, so lots of people and animals were walking around.

Anyway, we watched the Africa cup semi-finals between Ghana and Nigeria (where I drank my beer). I normally don't watch football too often, but it's something to do here. We've been following the tournament since it's been on TV a lot since we've been here. Also, the Snooker world tournament has been on. What's Snooker, you ask? To be honest, I don't really know. It's like pool, only with several red balls, and a few of different colors tht are in particular places on the billiards table. You must hit a red ball in then hit another color in. You keep going until you don't get a ball in, then it's the other players turn. Paddy played it frequently in college, which was very helpful in explaining wtf was going on. Also, you must wear a vest and bowtie while playing. This is a gentleman's game, apparently.

We had a group dinner at 7pm at Ivo, the restaurant closest to our hostel. It was ok. I ordered more tomato soup because I was still hungry. Then we got chocolate crepe for dessert. Fantastic! I love chocolate crepe. I wish they made crepe in the US! Nomnomnom. Lord knows I can't make it!

After, a few of us went to Da Noi, the sketchy bar for a drink. It was still sketchy, but fun. Anyways, I must go finish packing. We leave the hostel at 7:45 tomorrow morning and leave from Venice. Poor Huguette isn't allowed to go to Italy, so she has to leave at 6:45 to catch a flight from Ljubljana. I guess that's what she gets from being Congalese. lol. Silly governments and visas.

No comments:

Post a Comment