Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 25 - Burea begins!

Today, we gave group presentations. My group presented in the afternoon, so we worked through lunch. We just grabbed burek from the bakery and finalized our presenation. Part of our finalization was working with Meichen's accent so people could understand her more easily. She has difficulty separating her words and ennunciating her consonants. Her part was much more understandable than in previous presentations. We did well, though. Yay!

After, everyone came back to the hostel to work on individual presentations. I don't present til Thursday morning, so I don't have to get much done tonight. 17/25 of the class present tomorrow, so I'll be fine.

For dinner, everywhere is closed! The weather is too cold, so restaurants close to minimize losses because no one goes out to eat. All the restaurants we were going to go to were closed, so we wandered around until we found an open place. We found this tiny little cute restaurant on a side street as we were heading to the harbor to see if those restaurants were open. Inside, we met a cute tiny little older lady who spoke Slovene, Italian and some German. In our group, we speak English, French and Chinese. So, we managed to order 2 fish dinners and 1 meat dinner, 3 teas and 3 risotto with meat. The risotto was amazing! Just white rice with beef chunks and gravy. I ordered the meat meal, so I got 2 pork chops, fried potato slices, steamed peas and carrots, with a salty gravy. Delicious! The fish were just two fish with some potatoes and spinach. Also looked delicious. Then she brought out the aperitifs. She pointed to one and said ˝sherry˝ then the whiter one and said ˝grapa˝. I poured out some sherry for the three of us. It wasn't bad. Drinkable. I poured out half a shot of grapa. I took a sip. Holy hell. It was worse than vodka. I then sat there for 5 minutes dreading finishing the half a shot. Then I got the idea to squeeze a lemon into the glass. So much better! Drinkable, anyway.

The bill was €91! The fish cost €45. It was a relief to me because my meal was only €19, not €36. Awesome!

Anyway, I suppose I could go do research now. Le sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I also forgot to mention that the cute older woman made Meichen finish what was left of the fish. It was cute.

    ReplyDelete