Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 13

I forgot to set my alarm last night. So I got up at 7:50 instead of 7:30, nothing too major, but I did have to use the awkwardly broken shower because someone was in the non-broken shower.

We watched Welcome to Sarajevo today in class, starring Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei and some british guy I haven't heard of. It was really good, incorporating real footage from the bombing of Sarajevo in with the movie. Heartbreaking, but good. What isn't heartbreaking about Bosnia from 1992-1994, though?

I'm still sniffly, but functioning properly. One of my roommates has acquired the 24 hour flu, passed on from my next door neighbor. I hope I don't get it. I hate puking.

Tomorrow, we're giving presentations about the three cities we'll be studying in Croatia and Bosnia. My group is presenting on Mostar in southeastern Bosnia, which suffered fighting between Croats and Bosniaks, and who are still living segregated from each other on opposite sides of the river.

Saturday, we're taking a day trip to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, and then leaving for Zagreb, capital of Croatia, on Sunday. I'm pretty excited. I get to add 5 countries to the list of places I've been, but only 4 if you don't count airports. I did walk around the tarmac in Munich, though. I breathed the air, right? Kidding, I still have yet to go to Germany. Four ain't bad, though. The only problem with going Croatia and Bosnia is that everyone smokes everywhere. In Slovenia, they smoke a lot, but only outside. Ah well. I guess I can suck it up.

Anyway, I should do some research on Mostar, or make a list of things I want to buy in Croatia and Bosnia. They're famous for their honey, and shrapnel souvenirs. Ah, war.

No comments:

Post a Comment