Monday, January 4, 2010

Piran day 3!

Today, I woke up at 3:20, and after that I stayed awake til late in the 5'o'clock hour, when I woke at 6, dozed off again til 7:10, when I just got up. I took a shower, then went to eat breakfast.

It was resplendent! I had some sweet star-shaped bread, soft bread with cheese, more bread with nutella/some other nut spread, tomato slices and tea, lots of it. It was fantastic. I can't wait to eat breakfast tomorrow! It lasted well through lunch time, too.

We went to the classroom today at the Institute of Mediterranean Heritage, which is a college for archaeology, part of the regions university system. It's a nice classroom, just very warm and sleepy, and on jetlagged sleep, many of us were nodding off. I think the professor at the institute who was lecturing today understood. He kept it light, and gave us breaks in between powerpoints.

Then we had a break for lunch, the two hours during which were spent mostly trying to avoid the giant puddles in the cobblestones. It was raining/snowing quite a bit today, and probably will for the next week or so. My feet are cold.... : (

Lunch was okay, though. We stopped in this bakery and got these pastry pizza things. Mine was like spinach pie in a pastry instead of a pie crust. Cheap too. Just €2.70. Also at the bakery, a duck egg machine (or gumball/bubble machine, if you prefer) which sold Pokemon zipper pulls for €1. I got Pikachu. Meichen got Magnezone. Good times.

Then we went to the town hall in Piran for a quick tour/art history lesson. Omg, our tour guide does not shut up! It sounded like she was going to stop, but then she would keep going! Hopefully I get more used to her as the month continues, as she'll be coming with us to Trieste and possibly Venice. She's really nice, just long-winded.

After that, everyone went back to the hostel to sleep. Best nap ever!

Then it was up and off to dinner. Two others and I went to a seafood place. I ordered spaghetti and scampi. It was really good! Instead of marinara like I was expecting, it came with a garlic butter sauce, and delicious shrimp, including one still whole. I didn't eat that one. She was pregnant when they boiled her alive. That was a little too disturbing. Anyway, after that, I ordered tiramisu for dessert. Delicious!

I've posted some pictures on facebook if you want to see. I'll try to remember to take more. I forgot to take pictures of my meals today. I'll try to remember to do that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment