Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 15 - Ljubljana!

Last night, we decided to spend the night enjoying ourselves. We bought a couple bottles of wine, intending to spend the night in the hostel lobby, watching TV and movies and having a good time. We ended up at the sketchy (yet safe, no worries) bar called De Noi which has been frequented by less sleepy and more alcoholic members of our group over the course of this trip. I got fairly drunk. LaVana, Rob and I were the last ones there. Paddy is a little protective of LaVana because her dad is worried about her, so he came to get us at 11:30, which was a little weird. It was a fun time, but we had to leave at 9 in the morning for Ljubljana, which is about an hour and a half bus ride away. No hangover or anything, so it's all good.

So we went to Ljubljana, where after we got over the mountains, it was snowy! With a large pine forest! It was so beautiful! It's crazy how much the climate can change just through a tunnel. I took some great pictures of the snow covered forest through the bus window, and cute little Slovene towns that spot the hills.

Mostly, in Ljubljana I shopped. I bought two shot glasses from someone at the market and some clothes from H&M. I love H&M. It's fantastic. And cheap. I didn't buy too much, either. After we went to a place called Sokol for lunch, where they charge you for everything but it still tastes good. I drank 4 cups of tea, and I was charged a euro for them all, even though I would have been fine with more hot water. I ordered goulash and vegie soup.

Slovene goulash is not like most goulash I have had. I expected egg noodles with a tomato and meat sauce, but instead I got a beef stew with a large dumpling in the middle. Still tasted good. They had horse on the menu. It was a little weird. I didn't eat any, at least I don't think I did. I don't really know what meat was in the soup, but I think it was venison. Or at least the menu said ˝game.˝ Whatever that means...

Anyway, the bathroom at this place is also really cool. Well, at least the doors are. The rest of it isn't so great. The doors are wood with sliding wooden latches. Old school.

Anyway, I should go pack. We leave for Zagreb tomorrow morning, and won't be back to the hostel for 8 days. I think I will survive with just my backpack, but we shall see when I pack. If I can fit 8 shirts and still have room for undies, socks, and notebooks, then backpack it is! Otherwise I'll just leave a large bag of stuff here, since we're renting a room for just storage for the week.

Ciao. (I still haven't learned to say goodbye in Slovene. I usually just end with Hvala, thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment