Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 7 - Piran!

To catch up on what I've been up to, here are some journal entries I wrote when I was unable to blog. Old school, hurrah!

We got up early to walk in the rain to Tartini square in Piran. Tartini is the second greatest violinist/composer/instructor, second to Vivaldi, according to the museum in Piran. At the house of Tartini (which is in Tartini square, along with a statue of him), we met with Dr. Anton Bebler, who was our main lecturer of the day.

Bebler's talks focused on the smoothness of Slovenia's transition from Yugoslav republic to European state, and the roughness of Bosnias. Or as I like to call it ˝the WTF that is Bosnia.˝ It's a pretty weird country. It's constitution is an international peace treaty and it is managed by the UN. Google it. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

After lecture, a few of us ate at the Guiseppe Tartini cafe, which was surprisingly cheap, good and empty. Unfortunately, it was also slow and we were almost late for class.

Afternoon class was mostly just housekeeping issues and working on our presentations. So after that, Huguette and I went shopping. I bought a nice gray wool coat and a pair of ankle height boots. I blend in better now. Europeans don't wear hoodies and ratty tennies.

I also bought a bottle of wine to go with my leftover pasta for dinner. For €2, it was surprisingly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment